Crab Cheese Wontons with a Strawberry Habanero Dipping Sauce
Crab Cheese Wontons w/Strawberry Habanero Sauce
20 Wonton Skins
1 6 oz can of crab meat
1 8 oz jar of whipped cream cheese
1 green onion, minced
1 cup of sliced Strawberries
1/4 cup of Butter
1 Habanero, diced, keeping the seeds
2 cloves of sliced Garlic
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
Strawberry Habanero Dipping Sauce
1. Heat the olive oil in a small to medium sized pot on medium heat
2. Place the garlic in the pot and saute until soft, about 7 minutes
3. Add Strawberries, Habanero and Butter, bring to a boil
4. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring often until the strawberries have softened, 15 minutes
1. In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine Crab Meat, Green Onion and Whipped Cream Cheese
2. In a separate small bowl, beat the egg
3. Place one teaspoon of crab mixture on top of the wonton skin (don’t overfill the wonton!). Moisten the edges of the wonton skin with the egg mixture. Fold the wonton in half and seal the edges firmly
4. Hold the wonton wrappers by both ends, as if it were an upside down triangle and fold the wonton lengthwise. Moisten the two opposite touching ends with the egg mixture and seal firmly.
5. In a wok heat two inches of oil until it reached 375 degrees. Fry wontons until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes 6. Place finished Wontons on a paper towel to drain
7. Plate the wontons with the strawberry habanero dipping sauce on the side and enjoy!
Ok lets start with the Strawberry Habanero Dipping Sauce! I didnt picture it here, but make sure that you heat the olive oil and saute the garlic until soft first before adding the strawberries and all the other ingredients. The garlic takes longer to cook!
After the wontons are nice and golden, add Strawberries, Habanero and Butter, bring to a boil. Dont get rid of the habanero seeds – you want the spicy kick that the seeds will add! While the sauce is on the stove, you can start working on the crab cheese filling.
Mix together the crab and cream cheese. I like to use whipped cream cheese since its mixes easily and is light and fluffy but you can use regular cream cheese also. I used canned crab but you can also get fancy and use fresh crab!
Now stuff the wonton. Oops this is a photo of some sausage filling but just close your eyes and imagine the cream cheese crab filling! Now don’t overfill but put just about a teaspoon of filling right in the middle
Now hold the wonton with the edges that are farthest from each other, as if it were an upside down triangle and bring those edges together with their opposite ends touching. Don’t worry I messed up a couple of wontons before I got it down
Heat the oil until its 375 degrees. I like to use a thermometer to make sure. Just 1-2 minutes on each side until each side is nice and golden brown. The filling doesnt need to cook, we just want to get the cheese melted.